Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pansy's Fun Facts

For the past few years I have had on the back burner the idea of getting Dual-Citizenship. One of the fun parts of having had a set of grandparents who emigrated from Ireland is the fact that I can (with some research) apply for Irish citizenship. The benefits? I can live, buy property and more importantly work in the EU. After I leave the US on my American Passport, I can travel on the Irish one (which I suppose would be helpful since everyone in the rest of the world hates us). The only hitch? All of the documentation. I've gotten my birth certicate, the birth, marriage and death certificates of my parents, and the death certificates of my maternal grandparents. Now I need to get the birth certificates for my grandparents and their marriage certificate. Sadly, I didn't pay enough attention to Mom's stories about my grandparents (long dead when I was a kid: we seem to be people who marry late, breed later and die young) so I don't know what part of Ireland they were born in, and when they were married. Things being what they were, the "city" where I grew up barely can get it together to get the names right on the death certificates, much less note the birthplace. For some reason I'd really like to do this: I'm very proud of my English family that went to the new world and founded a random town in Connecticut on the way to the Airport, but somehow getting this dual citizenship thing will honor my mother's side.

Wish I knew someone in Ireland..



Pansy's Rants

12 comments:

elle said...

Can't help you w/ knowing anyone in Ireland, although that's where my father's family was originally from, but I think that getting dual citizenship is a *brilliant* idea. Because my mother is Estonian and we own land there, I do have the option of getting Estii citizenship if I jump through many, many hoops, not the least of which would be becoming at least moderately proficient in the language, which has a reputation of being one of the harder ones in the world to learn. Mother taught me Russian as a child, not Estonian. Sigh. I can't tell you how tempted I am to go ahead and try to jump through those hoops, but am not sure DH would be able to make the adjustment. Definitely love him...but there's a lot to be said for not having a partner.
The Starry Eyed Romantic :-)
PS Ireland is one of the most flat out gorgeous places in the world imo. I hope you manage to track down all that documentation.

Qwendy said...

I just found you through your most amusing perfume reviews on Columbina's blog -- I wonder if you will be at the Los Angeles Sniffapalooza on Saturday? And you MUST be a dual citizen, I'm going to have to marry my dual citizenship! You'll easily meet people in Ireland!

tmp00 said...

Elle-

Go for it! I just have to make the time to do the research on it.

tmp00 said...

qwendy-

I most certainly will be there- it's right in my neighborhood. Are you going? If so I'll see you there!

Qwendy said...

I sure will be there, and your reviews of the Apothia frags makes me want to try them, well two out of three, immediately and compare "notes"! I'm blonde(ish) and will most likely be the only one wearing red lipstick, or ask one of the Karens which is me, do you know others attending? Can't wait for this fun fete!

tmp00 said...

I actually know nobody who is attending.

I'll see you there though!

Qwendy said...

I'll introduce you to quite a few, mostly locals, and at least one notable visitor, not including the organizers, the Karens from NY. I guarantee that most everyone will be inclusive and fun.

tmp00 said...

Wonderful-

Perhaps I'll find out who the mystery Serge Lutens lover who haunts Barneys looking for the lastest release as much as I do is; she was mentioned to me one of the times I was bugging them about Fumerie Turque.

katiedid said...

Heh. What's hilarious is my American-born father-in-law HAD to request an Irish passport in order to travel abroad. He was born in a home-birth, and never got a birth certificate until many years later. Due to all the new Homeland Security he was frustrated from obtaining a US passport, and it was much easier to prove his Irish ancestry (since it only went back a single generation) than to jump through all the crazy hoops the Homeland Security office demanded. They wanted freaking witnesses to his birth to prove his existence! His parents are dead, and like he even knows who the midwife was. He had tons of school records and testimony from old friends he went to school with, he votes like any American citizen, and yet... idiots.

You should totally do it. Why not?

tmp00 said...

Oh my lord-

Homeland "Security" strikes again...

I love that "please provide a witness to your birth". Like you took notes while you were having the cord cut...

Qwendy said...

You mean there's only ONE woman haunting the Barney's counter waiting for the latest SL release? I have trouble believing that. Hmmm, one must have made quite an impression on them, let's try to find out who it was, Dr Pansy!

tmp00 said...

I think we're one big black card waving Lutens-loving blur sometimes....