Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's my birthday and I'll bitch if I want to.


Well it's not yet, that happens Friday.  I will be (gasp) 47 years old. 

There I committed it to print.

Luckily, through a combination of good genes, Erno Laszlo and the miracle that is Mexoryl I think I can still pass for less that 40.  If you see me and disagree, kindly keep it to yourself.

I know that it's unattractive at best to whinge on about the fact that I am sitting here with a migrane, that it's hot, another year has been added on so that fifty is not just a vicious rumor when parts of the midwest are underwater.  I could also point out to myself that I could indeed stop whining, get off my ass and go to a gym.  Or even outside.

One thing I am glad about is that today gay weddings are being held, legally in the State of California.  There are a bunch of them happening less than a mile away in West Hollywood, complete with a celebrity (George Takei of "Star Trek" fame) taking the first vows.  If you had told me, 15, 10 or even 5 years ago that this would be happening here I would have thought you were flat-out nuts.  Of course there are the requisite group of flat-out nuts (from Arizona, thanks ever so: the state with the governor who rescinded MLK day on his first day in office) who are getting something on the ballot to stop the evil homos from ruining the sanctity of marriage.

Hey, didn't Liz Taylor, Britney Spears and (insert name of Gabor here) already do this?

To them I say, whatever.  Don't you people realise that you are missing out on an opportunity here?  Gas is nigh unto five bucks a gallon and your government has allowed your manufacturing jobs to go to South America.  You should be setting up the Little Chapel of the Happy Homos in your garage, like Homer Simpson.  You should be polishing your cake-decorating skills and dusting off you great-aunt Margaret's recipe for nougat.  You should be stocking up on rainbow taffeta.  If you're really enterprising, you're inculcating into your little Beezie and Wendyo that a career in family law is the best thing for them.

Because I am here to tell you, Gay marriage is here to stay!

And gay divorce will inevitably follow.

You can cash in or you can sit there and turn fifty on the sofa.

3 comments:

the oblitterati said...

My friend Julia (http://www.book-by-its-cover.com/) collects old wedding cake topper grooms. It's time to pair those babies off and make ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Now that NY is recognizing out of state marriages, I imagine the jetBlue west coast shuttle will be getting quite a workout.

tmp00 said...

Virgin America should start offering packages.

Too bad Kern County doesn't see the economic boon here. Oh well.

Two ladies who'd been together for 15 years got married today at the courthouse down the street from me;

"We're not nervous today. We've known each other 15 years. We've consummated the marriage. We love each other. Once the love of every couple getting married showers California, no one will want to change the constitution,"

Can't top that.

the oblitterati said...

Now I'm getting choked up. What a nice birthday present.