Sunday, September 17, 2006

I'm watching the C-SPAN tribute to Ann Richards, the feisty and wholly wonderful former governer of Texas, giving her address at the 1988 Democratic National Convention. Ms. Richards died this past week, and the world is a little greyer without her.

I daresay that if my party had any stones whatever, they would have run Ann as the candidate for President in 1988. I think Dukakis was and is a very good man, and at the time that Ann was only state treasurer, but surely no democratic candidate other than Clinton had that ability to connect with an audience, and Ann had the added fillip of being not only charismatic, charming and strong, but unassailable.

Ann Richards was perhaps this countries greatest missed opportunity.

For god's sake Hillary, take some notes.

3 comments:

elle said...

I adored her. I'm afraid the Democrats have less cojones now than ever. Very depressing. Yes, Hillary does need to take notes from Ms. Richards.

tmp00 said...

I think they all need to take some notes from her. However, I did enjoy Clinton on Fox this weekend. That's what the party needs- some goold old fashioned off-pi$$edness

priscilla said...

I just followed your link over from Colombina's blog. ;-)

I was born and raised in Texas, and I voted for her for governor both times. I cried when I heard she'd died...I don't know what's going to happen to this party. Maybe Hillary should have gone to Texas instead of New York and taken lessons from the master.